Remote Work Faculty

How do I reset my office computer so I can connect from home?

We strongly recommend against working remotely through your campus desktop computer as it causes problems and is not reliably supportable. Physical problems with the campus computer (power glitch, building network, etc.) typically require physical presence on campus, not permitted without special permission during the COVID-19 campus shutdown. We have also seen many problems when people attempt to participate in web conferencing while connected to their campus computer. Our ability to help is extremely limited as we are also working remotely, need special permission to come to campus, and we do NOT have access to Volgenau offices - which means that you will have to get permission and hope that you can fix things - as our presence violates social distancing rules.

We have found that most VSE people connecting to their campus computers are using basic Office applications, web applications, and/or Adobe Acrobat Pro, all of which can be used on your home computer, whether Mason-owned or your personally-owned computer. Many other campus applications can be used from home during this emergency. Data files (documents, spreadsheets) should be copied to your MESA or OneDrive shares and accessed remotely from home through the campus VPN. Instructions for connecting to your MESA share from Windows through the VPN are found here and instructions for connecting from a Mac are here. Please copy your files from your campus computer to the share and access them directly from your home computer. This will prevent many problems.

Please request help through and we'll be happy to step you through the process. We can also help identify which applications you can run from home and which actually require use on a campus-based computer. In some cases, it may be feasible to take that computer home and we can help with that process as well.

What do I need to do to take my Mason-owned computer home?

  • Working Remotely: A Guide to Maintaining Continuity link to guide
  • Equipment Assignment / Loan Form (Home Loan) link to form
  • Network cables: if your computer is close enough to use your home router
  • WiFi adapter: if your computer is not near your home router there are multiple adapters available through To buy an adapter, ask your department’s administrative/purchasing point of contact for assistance. Some options available:
    • TP-Link Mini – AC600 USB Wifi Adapter 2.4G/5G Dual Band Wireless Network Adapter for PC Desktop Amazon link
    • TP-Link USB Wifi Adapter for PC N150 Wireless Network Adapter for Desktop – Nano Size Wifi Dongle Compatible with Windows Amazon link
    • USB Wifi Adapter AC600Mbps UBSNOVEL Dual Band 2.4G/5B Wireless Wifi Dongle
    • Network Card for PC Laptop Desktop Amazon link

What software is available for home use?

  • Mason Owned Computers click here
  • Software available to Faculty/Staff click here
  • Software Catalog click here

How do I get help on central applications?

Information on Mason-wide applications, including Ellucian’s Banner products and project management software. link

How do I get help with course prep?

The Stearns Center for Teaching and Learning is a hub for promoting teaching excellence and innovation. Stearns Center

How do I assist students with access to Matlab?

Contact VSE Computing Resources at

How do I assist students with access to Solidworks?

Contact VSE Computing Resources at

How do I assist students with access to Bentley?

Contact VSE Computing Resources at